Saturday, July 22, 2006

From Seneca Lake and the reunion to Sacramento


Seneca Lake scenic
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - It's 6:40 p.m. and it is 109 degrees outside. Yup, 109 degrees after nearly a month of basking in upstate New York's 80-degree days. And yes, you weather watchers, we have what's called 'dry heat' meaning that the humidity is only about 20 percent, compared to 99 percent sometimes at Seneca Lake.

But gawd, 109 degrees is hot... And the state is declaring a power emergency which could mean rolling blackouts. Better get the beer and wine on ice, pronto.

Already the memories of chatting with everyone at the See Zurh House Friday night and Saturday evening at Webb's seems like they are fading, at least until I flip back to some of the photos. I hope that people who used their digital cameras will send along some for posting - even if they seem repetitive. I've about exhausted the ones sent by Randy Carlson and Shirley Adams. If not, well, I guess I'll have to go back to the yearbook and start pulling out shots again.

After the reunion, Admiral Fox and I spent a nice week at Seneca Lake, boating and traveling to a few of the wineries frequented by Bob and Donna Swanson on their annual Seneca Lake wine pilgrimage with other area folks. I even shipped a case of New York wine back to California to give as gifts, one bottle of which I will be presenting to the president of my university who specifically asked me to bring him some of New York state's finest. (OK, I might not have gotten him the absolute best, but it is a notch up from Uncle Homer's Red. Sorry Bob & Donna!)

We also climbed a little waterway that runs right near our Valois house, called, appropriately, Breakneck Creek, to find a swimming hole we had gone to several years ago.

I could certainly use that swimming hole right now, though I am refilling my hot tub with cold water in anticipation of the air conditioning and electricity being dumped in the next few hours.

Seneca Lake swimming hole
Breakneck Creek swimming hole

Seneca Lake creek waterfall
Admiral Fox tests the water...

In the reunion euphoria, there was a lot of talk about a 45-year soiree and then a 50th reunion, good goals both. But for either of them to happen, classmates, please do your best to keep in touch with each other.

And please remember, too, in the spirit of John Rupp and Kathy Widrig and all of our other amigos who have passed away, that there is a network of folks if you need to reach out. (Yes, those same ones who only a week ago were dancing and drinking and having such a wild time.) I know I'm already making plans for a return to Lakewood next summer for a mini-reunion and intend on pestering people via email from now on.

Live long and prosper, my amigos. And thanks for a great time at the SWCS Class of '66 40th Reunion.

It was, as we used to say, a real blast.

No comments: