Thursday, June 08, 2006

Barb Bunce names her music picks for the Reunion


Barb Bunce
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
PITTSBURGH, Penn. - Barb Bunce sent along her picks of the must-hear, must-dance music for the July reunion.

Two of the songs jumped out at me.

One was her listing of any of the "Twist" songs, the other "Stranger on the Shore" by Acker Bilk.

I have always loved the Twist, it being perhaps the first dance I ever could do. Think about it: How do you goof up the Twist? Well, I did, of course, last summer, by wrenching my knee. But I've discovered I can still do the Twist (as long as my knee surgeon is kept out of the loop) by swiveling at the hips without too much knee action.

That's probably more than anyone needed to know. Let's move on.

And Stranger on the Shore I always think of as one of best slow dances ever. It's so slow, you barely have to move your feet, but you still get to hang onto to the girl.

It's a guy thing, perhaps.

Barb mentions in her note below (with her music picks) that Saturday night might be a "Sock Hop" themed evening. Sounds good to me. There is no way I could squeeze into my tuxedo anyway.

Here's Barb's note:

================

Hi Mike;

I have been holding onto my list of songs as I keep thinking I will want to add some more.

Many of my selections hold fond memories of the dances in the cafeteria and gym--or at Lakewood Beach on the tennis courts!

I couldn't remember some of the artists' names and was too lazy to look them up.

Any Johnny Mathis song
Be True to Your School - Beach Boys
Blue Velvet - Bobby Vinton
Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis
Cherish - Association
Do You Love Me? - Contours
Gimme Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group
Have you Heard? - Duprees
I Wanna Hold Your Hand - Beatles
Lady in Red
Little Honda - Beach Boys
Mony Mony - Tommy James
Shout - Isley Brothers
Since I Don't Have You - Jimmy Beaumont & the Skyliners
Stranger on the Shore - Acker Bilk
The Big Hurt - Toni Fischer (this is a hard one to find!)
There's a Moon Out Tonight
This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers
Till Then - Classics
Any version of the Twist
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
Unforgettable - Nat & Natalie Cole
You Belong to Me - Duprees
You Were Mine at the Time - Fireflys
(ballroom dancing class at Dorothy William's studio!)


Did we say that Saturday evening would be a Sock Hop theme?

Thanks for the photos from 1991. I do have mine somewhere.

See you soon.

Barb Bunce Garlock

=========================

No comments: