Sunday, June 19, 2005

A SWCS Class of '66 mini-reunion in 1978

PITTSBURGH, Penn. - Cheryl Towers (front left) passed along this photo along with another one from 10 years before that will show up here, pretty soon.

If the faces are unfamiliar, here you go around the circle: Cheryl, Linda Hanson, Mick Olson, Shirley Adams and Barb Bunce.

Who took the picture? That I don't know, but he or she will remain the mystery guest until Cheryl says who it was.

(AHA! Thanks to the miracle of email just now (Monday June 20), Cheryl says it was Barb's husband Scott, whose photo appeared sometime back on this website...)

Seeing Shirley in that photo reminds me for some reason of the car that Shirley drove during high school. Anyone else remember (besides Shirley)?

In high school, I drove my mother's white 1961 Rambler Classic 4-door, with a push-button transmission - at least until Bud Hooper and I lost the front wheel in a downtown Jamestown parking lot. The wheel fell off while I was driving down Pine Street and that old Hoover just went to the right and slid into the parking lot behind the offices of Dr. Marvin Siegel, whose office was above a restaurant, I believe, called The Polka Dot.

How I can remember the name of the restaurant, I'm not sure. In fact, I'm not sure. Was it The Polka Dot?

I do remember that the reason the wheel fell off is that before the axle let go, we had been in a snowy grocery store parking lot, driving the car about 40 mph and then spinning around in circles. It was a lot of fun, even if it wrecked the front end of the car.

When the car was repaired several days later, my mother drove it straight downtown to the Pontiac dealership to trade it in. One Rambler was quite enough for her. She looked at the sporty Pontiacs and for a moment, one tiny moment, I almost had her talked into a GTO. Four-speed, the big engine, the whole pagoda.

A GTO! My God! A GTO!

But, she had to have a four-door car so my grandmother could get hauled to church on Sundays. For a GTO, I would have carried my grandmother on my back to and from the Catholic Church up on Fairmont Avenue.

And so she finally settled on a Pontiac Tempest with a good sized V-8. Years later she gave me the car when I was visiting from California and I drove it across country with my sister Evelyn riding shotgun, getting that old 326 V-8 to well over 100mph for quite some time going across Nevada.

So you've had enough time to remember Shirley's car if you think you can call it up.

I think it was blue, but I know for sure it was a Studebaker, the last year they made Studebakers was 1964. Randy Carlson drove a Studebaker for awhile, too, but his was an older model.

We all drove some pretty interesting cars in those days.

Thanks Shirley, for triggering the memory for me. But what are you driving today?

No comments: