Thursday, June 02, 2005

Kathy should be on Classmates.com, too


Kathy Widrig
Originally uploaded by Brite Lights photos.
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - Kathy Widrig (Kathy Widrig Bradley) is another one of our classmates whose yearbook picture cries out to the people who run Classmates.com.

Look at the smile, the hairdo, the collared blouse, the sweater - it shouts 1966. (And it's a good look even in 2005.)

The entry today is datelined Rochester, because that's where Kathy hangs out now, the office manager of a tool and die shop.

"Sometimes I call it the arm pit of the world. But I have a good job. Been working here for 24 years," she says.

Kathy jumped onto the reunion mailing list right away. And if memory serves correctly, I saw her at the 25th reunion perched on a barstool at The Main Event bar in downtown Jamestown, near the old railroad station.

It was at The Main Event that I realized that there might be a book in all this stuff: reunions, high school, growing up. Ok, it's been 15 years and the damned book is still in progress.

Maybe I should turn it into a screenplay instead. How about Class of '66 - the Movie? You can name the actor you would want to play you. I'll write it into my contract with Paramount.

I didn't know Kathy well in high school - she was from Celeron, I believe. And while that's hardly Indonesia, it seemed sooooo far, particularly until I got my own wheels (a Yamaha 80 motorcycle) but that was senior year.

I think all of us were mobility impaired, which influenced what passed for social life. Once I got my license, my mother would turn loose her 61 Rambler occasionally, but compared to most of the cars my friends had, it was a pretty sad unit.

Still, it went to the drive-in and a place I just remembered that was near Celeron called the 'bum roads.'

But that's for another blog or someone else to fill in the blanks.

Any takers?

No comments: