Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Easily recognizable, and still smiling after 40 years

MAYVILLE, New York - A few more photos have trickled out of my photo file from the Class of '66 reunion, including this shot of Dan, Ken and Steve at the dinner.

All three guys are clearly the people we graduated with - even Dan who is arguably a foot taller than I remember him as being! Steroids - or a late bloomer?

Ken Sonne is retired after a long and successful teaching career. Steve and Dan are still among the ranks of the employed, Dan with his own company (if I remember what he told me correctly) and Steve has a security clearance, I believe. You'll have to email Steve about what he does, I don't have a high enough clearance. In fact, as a journalist, I probably have a negative rating when it comes to security clearances.

I also found this shot of Craig Fransen, who was one of my closest friends growing up. In the early 1960s, Craig, Gary Shenkle, Tom Short, the late Ron Hurlburt and I would lift weights in his basement (Craig obviously kept at it and it shows) and then go upstairs to feast in his family kitchen.

One summer we all bought sweatshirts and used a Magic Marker to write "Fransen's Gym" on the front of them.

On the back we wrote "Bigger Biceps for '64"

I really wish I had kept that sweatshirt.

That winter I bought my own set of barbells to have at the house. It should have been a sign that I had to have someone carry the box from the store and put it in my car.

Craig Fransen
Craig Fransen

And lastly, here's yet another dance shot - nope, not Shelley Kales and I again (though I do have another one to post). This is another group shot, but of a circle dance... (As opposed to a square dance? Sorry.) And what exactly is Linda Davidson doing/saying in this photo?

Dancin' in a circle

No comments: