Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Classmates: Kathy Widrig has passed away


Kathy Widrig
Originally uploaded by Brite Lights photos.
ROCHESTER, New York - I don't have any details, but Gloria Boutelle has let me know that Kathy Widrig passed away Monday in Rochester.

Kathy's sister was headed there and will relay details to Gloria about services, which I will relay to you in a timely fashion. I don't know the cause of her death.

It was only a short time back, that I had Kathy's photo up, because her emails started bouncing several months ago from her work.

Damn! Obviously something was going on with her and now she's gone.

Kathy and I exchanged emails several times in the past year - she was working as some kind of a manager at a manufacturing firm. She thought her high school picture was the best photo ever taken of her and was pleased that it got posted on the class website.

If you can excuse my getting up on the high ground here for second, I would like to offer this:

Don't be sick alone. Don't be sad alone. Don't sit home depressed alone.

At the very least send an email to the class. Send an email to me and let me post it here.

What help can your classmates of the Class of '66 be? Maybe nothing. Maybe a lot.

In Kathy's case, I know many people who live not-to-far from Rochester who I would have dispatched in a heartbeat to help her out.

But now I can't. Damn.

I don't expect to be challenging John Rupp to a tennis match in heaven anytime soon, but I guarantee that when he and I do start whacking the celestial tennis ball around I'm going to give him a stern lecture for not telling me he was sick until it way too late for me to help, and way to late for me to get to him.

Sorry to pass along this bad news, amigos. But let's raise our glasses for Kathy today. She will be missed.

No comments: