Friday, June 16, 2006

Services will be June 20 for Kathy Widrig

JAMESTOWN, New York - A memorial service for Kathy Widrig will be held Tuesday, June 20 at 3 p.m. at the chapel at Sunset Hill Cemetery on Hunt Road in Lakewood.

She died June 12 of a heart attack, our classmate Gloria Boutelle said.

Sunset Hill is where I buried my mother many years ago in a cold December ceremony, most of which I have completely blocked out of my memory.

I don't know much about how Kathy lived her life. But at the 25th Class of '66 reunion, she was perched on a barstool at The Main Event bar down near the railroad tracks, having a great time I remember. Her smile hadn't really changed much in the 25 years.

And you could hear her laugh all over the room. I talked with her briefly at the reunion and realized that I should have gotten up my courage 25 years before and asked her to dance when I had the chance in our senior year.

Kathy's sudden passing is a good reminder for me to get up from this keyboard and go back out into the world. Who knows how many chances you get to hear the birds chirping or enjoy the warmth of the sun?

Take some time off today in Kathy's honor.

I'm punching out right now, amigos.

Kathy Widrig

No comments: