Thursday, May 04, 2006

Send in your music for the Class of '66 reunion

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. - I'm a dedicated Apple ITunes user - and I have an American Express bill each month to prove it.

But the fun part has been rediscovering so much music from the past.

Right now, Hernando's Hideaway is blasting in my ears, downloaded because it's the only tango in which I seem to be hear the beat. Why is that important? Well pilgrims, in a weak moment I agreed to take some dancing lessons.

Gawd.

And yes, the tango is among the six that we are learning. Learning might be an exaggeration. The tango is among six dances that we are being exposed to.

(Note to all women taking dance lessons, wear shoes that can withstand tromping by your dance partner's feet.)

But all of this music downloading and cha-cha moves and the foxtrot - oh-my-God don't forget the foxtrot - has made me think about what kind of music we will have at our Saturday soiree in July at the reunion. (Friday night at the Bemus saloon, I hope the jukebox has a few oldies. One-two, cha,cha,cha.)

So, I propose this:

How about if everyone reading this sends me the name of one or two of their all-time favorite songs? It doesn't have to be from our era, exactly. I will compile a list (posting some of the songs as we go along) and eventually pass it along to Randy Carlson and his reunion crew.

The hardest part is which couple of songs.

Hell, send me your top 10 songs.

And yes, I will print any Barry Manilow title, if you're brave enough to send it in.

Barry Manilow

I've learned to play I Can't Smile Without You, which makes my granddaughter groan when I get out my guitar.

Forget Copacabana, however. And if anyone sends in Tiptoe Thru the Tulips by Tiny Tim as a favorite, I promise to keep your name confidential...

No comments: