Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Miss Alexander's class - Second Grade

LAKEWOOD, N.Y. - The scary thing about this photo was recognizing Doug Pillsbury in the front row, second from the left and simultaneously seeing him in the SWCS 1966 yearbook, wedged neatly between Jon Ostrander and Susan Post.

Note that I said Susan Post. When we were in high school, I remember she was Sue though her nickname under her photo says her nickname was Post. Go figure.

I remember her two old brothers, Bill and Bob. Bill, the eldest was a nice guy, graduated about 1963. Bob was not-so-nice (at least to some members of the Class of '66, myself included). He graduated in 65, I think. I didn't get him a graduation present.

But Doug Pillsbury! Pills! I don't remember him attending the two reunions we had, but I do remember him from gym class, probably his least favorite time of the school day, but it was required.

Doug Pillsbury just wasn't particularly interested in any of the silly games we played, especially the crueler ones like dodge ball. He took part, getting chosen near last for most teams and in one historic softball game on those lower fields, got beaned by a fly ball when he wasn't looking.

Today, he likely the president of a corporation somewhere or Larry Ellison's secret partner in Oracle.

But in second grade, there he sits next to Sally Smith, I believe. There's a lot of recognizable folks in this picture, Craig Young and Jack Nobbs in the back row, left, I'm pretty sure.

This photo comes to us courtesy of CeeJay who is going through some boxes of photos and promises more.

Does anyone have any more photos from our reunions? Or how about any photos from high school, junior high, or elementary school? I have a box of photos in my storage room that I haven't opened in years that might get dragged out this weekend.

And I'm going to go back through my emails to make sure I haven't missed posting any sent to me. If you sent me a photo and I didn't post it, scream! (electronically, that is) to remind me.

I have the memory of twig, a slender twig at that.

Which is a good segue to today's song:

I Remember You
sung by Frank Ifield

I remember you
You're the one that made my dreams come true
Just a few kisses ago

I remember you
You're the one who said I love you too
Yes I do
Didn't you know

I remember too, a distant bell
And stars that fell, like the rain
Out of the blue

When my life is through
And the angels ask me to recall
The thril of them all
Then I will tell them I remember
Tell them I remember
Tell them I remember you

I remember too, a distant bell
And stars that fell, like the rain
Out of the blue

When my life is through
And the angels ask me to recall
The thrill of them all
Then I will tell them I remember
Tell them I remember
Tell them I remember you

Words by Johnny Mercer, Music by Victor Schertzinger

No comments: