Monday, June 13, 2005

In the front row, drummer Dick Popowski

LAKEWOOD, N.Y. - The photos keep coming out and it's great.

Today's is courtesy of CeeJay, who, after the posting about bad hair days, wanted to reveal a different do than what she had in her graduation picture which I posted.

It's quite stylish (in the back row).

There's some of the usual suspects in this photo, which I will post on the Yahoo site and also mail directly to anyone who wants the gazillion megapixel version.

But what ever happened to Dick Popowski?

The last time I saw him, I was about 19 and slamming a few lime coolers at the Hideaway on Fairmount Avenue. He came in, all flaps up and full of wisecracks (as usual), and told me arguably the dirtiest joke I have ever heard. Ever.

Forget it. I'm not telling it here. My daughter looks at this site sometimes for Godsakes.

But I never heard another word about him, and he obviously didn't graduate with us, or if he did, he sure missed the SWCS yearbook.

Maybe we should start a list of those folks who were with us and them went off to other schools or who-knows where. We already have heard from Jackie Hamm (who is on the mailing list) and I think there might be a couple of others also getting our emails, to whom I apologize for not remembering right now.

But here's a partial list of the disappeared, and one tidbit about where someone is:

Dick Popowski
David Hamilton
Douglas Brandow
Ted Capella
Nancy Anderson
Jim Barton
Ed Potter
Dan Ryan
Jim Anderson
and ???

The mystery guest whose whereabouts I know (though I lost his email and contact information in the Great Computer Crash of April 2005) is Gary Shenkle.

Shenkle was with us until about the end of freshman year when he moved to Wallingford, Conn. We wrote back and forth exactly twice. And then poof, like teenagers with the attention span of a twig, we stopped writing.

Two years ago, through Classmates.com, I received an email from Gary who is working as an attorney in Washington state after giving up a dental practice.

Yup, Gary Shenkle and here's the kicker. For awhile, he was in a dental practice with Jim Burk, Class of '64 SWCS, and arguably the toughest guy in school. If Burk wasn't the toughest guy, he fooled a lot of us.

Gary hasn't told me why he left that practice, but if I ever get my old emails off the old computer, I'll put him on our list and see if I can get him to tell us a Jim Burk tale. Burk's 59 by now, he can't be that scary.

Right?

No comments: