Saturday, May 21, 2005

And now presenting, The Class of 1966


Grad picture
Originally uploaded by Brite Lights photos.
JAMESTOWN, N.Y. - Bob Swanson sent along this photo Saturday, part of a proposed cover for any program that might be produced for the reunion.

I faintly remember the photo being taken. And were our robes red?

Good God but that was a long time ago.

I do remember walking across a stage and some business about the tassel having to be shifted, even for a high school graduation. I still have that tassel, along with the ribbons I won in a handful of track meets. The tassel and the ribbons are all pretty tired-looking.

Since then, two college degrees later and 23 years of teaching at a university, I've seen graduations so many times it's all a blur.

One year I had to attend seven graduations in two days and speak at all seven as chair of the faculty at my university. I didn't go for the next seven years, figuring I had banked some time.

I ducked graduation today, even though it was only a mile from my back door. It was 90-plus degrees outside and with an outdoor graduation, the most interesting thing that was likely to happen was heatstroke.

In the last 24 hours or so, I added Randy Carlson, Jim Lindell and Allen Winger to the email list. Thanks to everyone who is keeping the email pipeline flowing.

And can anyone tell me how many people graduated in the Class of '66? I thought it was 180, but I count 169 faces in the yearbook.

All quite young faces, at least the ones where people didn't scribble right over their likenesses.

No comments: