Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Class of '66, out in the field for a photo

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. 1986 - The 20th reunion was notable for several things, not the least of which was the flood that almost wiped out the place where we were swilling drinks that first night.

Sue Guertin-Chandler and her husband Bill helped me get my rental car to dry ground as it almost floated away. Quite a night. Even Bob Fulcher made that party. And hell, we were all about 38 and not even 40 for chrissakes.

The next night's party - where the photo with this blog was taken - was a riot, too, though because I had been reading too much Norman Mailer, well, I believed that alcohol was the best spark for creative juices. It was a spark that night all right, but the spark started a fire in my brain that resulted in an epic headache the next morning.

I've since gotten over the Mailer thing. I'm moving into a Hunter S. Thompson phase.

(Just a joke! Just a joke!)

This photo comes courtesy of Lee Anderson, though I do have a copy of this shot sitting on the bulletin board right in front of me. But because my camera won't talk to this new computer, I'm kind of stalled the tracks for photos. But thanks to Lee, here it is.

I think we should start making lists of things we want for the 40th reunion: what music, what food, what national celebrity to do a stand-up comic routine the first night. (I want Jon Stewart or Donald Rumsfeld, they're both funny in their own way...)

And our theme song for the 40th reunion of the Southwestern Central High School Class of '66?

What else? 'Be True to Your School,' by the Beach Boys:

"When some loud braggart tries to put you down
and says his school his great,
I tell him right away
'Now what's the matter buddy
ain't you heard of my school,
...it's number one in the state'...


...So be true to your school...
Rah, rah sis boom-bah..."

No comments: