Thursday, April 14, 2005

They're fixing up the Surf Club for the Class of '66


surfclub
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
BEMUS POINT - Oh my God how many beers did the Class of '66 pound down in the Surf Club?

And, according to that paragon of journalistic excellence, the Jamestown Post-Journal, the place is being renovated and spruced up. My sister Evelyn sent me that photo that appears today. There's a story available online, too.

Think of the memories being swabbed out by buckets of TSP? It was a the surf club I met an 'older woman' (23!) when I was 19. We drank like maniacs that night and the next day when I went by her house to see her (she lived near Lakewood Beach where I was a lifeguard), she trotted out her 16-year-old sister to meet me. She said she was more age appropriate.

NO! I did not date the 16-year-old. I had standards.

The Surf Club is (was?) one of the last standing places in the pilgrimage I try to make when I am back in Jamestown. Gone are the Pastime, the Triangle. The Hideaway (where Jerry and Jan served Lime Coolers and took bets on football games) has been converted back into a single family home.

I hear the Pub is still open downtown, but owner Jim McKusker (sp?) must be ready for assisted living living by now.

When we reunite in the summer of 2006, let's organize a wild bar tour, starting with Surf Club and working our way around the lake.

The Mar-Mar? Snug Harbor? The Gloves?

Designated drivers required, of course. And no racing. Hear that John Rupp? No racing!

Unless Jim Carr brings his Corvette.

No comments: