Monday, April 11, 2005

Some great brains at SWCS, at least I think so

JAMESTOWN, NY - In order, in this photo it looks like Ward Romer, Annette Moore, Mick Olsen, Barbara Bunce, Dan Sundquist, Cherie Tower and Dave Carlson (from the bottom step to the top).

And while I don't know exactly why they merit a corner of a page in The Centralian (yes, that's the name of the yearbook) given that they all were top dogs in the classroom (Ward was valedictorian, I think), it had something to do with their high school GPAs.

Ward I remember because I taught him how to do a simple maneuver on the parallel bars - for which he thanked me profusely. All the IQ points rattling around in his brain couldn't help him when Dick Shevalier told him to get his ass up on the bars and swing his legs on the outside.

On the other end of the line is Dave Carlson, who was a bright light, but with a sense of danger, too, once helping me and John O'Neill finish a quart of scotch we bootlegged from Dale Arrison (sp?). He crawled in through a bedroom window, a block from the scene of the scotch slamming. I had to walk a mile home and got grounded for the rest of the summer.

And dead center is Barb Bunce, a Class of '66 heartthrob who was the first girl I knew who had an actual boyfriend - Ted Cappella - and that was in the 5th grade!

The whole 5th grade class (Mr. Gugino's) watched Ted ride off for California in the backseat of a convertible with his parents. What a class act!

Barb later got hooked up with class president Dan Flanagan, but that union didn't last and by the time we all met again at the 20th, life had moved on, Dan had joined the Mormon Church and Barb was happily married.

But what the hell ever happened to Ted Capella?

Ted? Do you hear me? Ted?

No comments: