Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How about an annual SWCS Class of '66 reunion?


See Zurh House scene
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
BEMUS POINT, New York - While the memory of last month's 40th reunion of the Class of '66 is still in your minds -- and it's likely you haven't yet seen your credit card bill from the trip -- let me make a wild suggestion about next summer and the summer after that and the summer after that and...

Many folks make a pilgrimage back to the Jamestown area nearly every summer, to see friends or relatives or just on a nostalgia tour.

So why not have a reunion every summer?

(Sweet Jaysus! He's lost his mind! Not true, I lost it a long time ago, amigos. A long time ago.)

What I'm suggesting is that we (you, me, the entire Class of '66) pick some weekend in the summer as a mini-reunion date. We can simply all gather at some watering hole (like the See Zurh House or Surf Club or The Pub) or elsewhere (Randy, want to throw a party? Sue Chandler? Jim Lindell, I see you hiding there...)

If five people show up, five show up. If ten, it's ten. If 100 show up, it's a social movement and we can apply for non-profit status.

All the Class of '66 needs to do is pick a date sometime for a soiree next summer.

I would prefer after July 4th, as my family obligations tend to keep me close to Valois near Seneca Lake that holiday weekend. And, given that I might have a chance to race in the Chautauqua Lake Yacht Club sailing regatta again next summer, well, I expect to be around in mid-July of 2007

But whatever date seems good, I'll be there if I can - and if not - well, I'll make it in 2008. Or 2009. Or 2010. The important thing is setting a date. Remember all those people at the See Zurh House and at Webb's you swore you would keep in touch with? Well, maybe this will help.

So, think about it. Mull it over. Chew on the idea. Bounce it around. Give it some thought. Ponder the concept. And then run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it.

In meantime, I'll open my credit card statement and see how much damage I did at Webb's Resort and elsewhere that weekend.

Hmmm... damned heavy envelope.

No comments: