Thursday, April 06, 2006

Gene Pitney's songs set the tone for some much


Gene Pitney
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
JAMESTOWN, N.Y. - Gene Pitney just passed away, quietly, at 65, right after giving what the critics say was one of his best performances ever.

His voice wasn't was it was when we listened to his 45 rpm records in the early 60s, but his enthusiasm for performing never stopped.

Here's a link to a story about his passing:

  • Gene Pitney

  • Is it me, or do we seem to be losing about one icon a week?

    My favorite Gene Pitney song is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," though "24 Hours From Tulsa" is close. He wrote tons of other songs for other performers including "Red Rubber Ball," a hopeful tune about a broken-hearted young guy who sees a sunrise and realizes that life will go one.

    I sat and watched a sunrise one morning overlooking Chautauqua Lake with that tune blaring out of the radio in my mother's yellow 1966 Pontiac Tempest Lemans after a difficult evening with a young lady who had dropped me like a hot rock.

    "Now I know you're not the only starfish in the sea,
    If I never hear your name again it's all the same to me,
    I think it's gonna be alright, yes the worst is over now,
    the morning sun is shining like a red rubber ball."

    It might not be Dylan Thomas, but it's poetry anyway.

    I'm going to honor Gene Pitney in my tiny way by learning to play a few of his tunes on my guitar. I've practiced some chords and sung of his verses, but my God that man had a set of vocal chords.

    Gene had lots of other songs, his "Town Without Pity," perhaps burned into my memory the most. It was played as a "slow dance" a lot and because it was so slow and so melodic, even I could grab the hand of Linda Hansen or Sue Kettle or Sally Smith and get away with a twirl on the gym floor without tripping.

    Here's the lyrics to Red Rubber Ball and Town Without Pity.

    Oh! And one not-too-quick thank you to all the folks who sent me personal emails and posted messages at the end of yesterday's entry about the nasty gram letter I received.

    I will, "Blog on" until the reunion and beyond, too. Can you imagine the legends we are going to create in July?

    Cheers.

    Town With Pity

    When you're young and so and love as we
    And bewildered by the world we see
    Why do people hurt us so
    Only those in love would know
    What a Town Without Pity can do..

    If we stop to gaze upon a star
    People talk about how bad we are...
    Ours is not an easy age
    We're like tigers in a cage
    What a Town Without Pity can do..

    The young have problems Many problems
    We need an understanding heart..
    Why don't they help us, try to help us
    Before this clay and granite planet falls apart...

    Take these eager lips and hold me fast..
    I'm afraid this kind of joy can't last
    How can we keep love alive
    How can anything survive
    When these little minds tear you in two..
    What a town Without Pity can do..

    How can we keep love alive
    How can anything survive
    When these little minds tear you in two..
    What a town Without Pity can do

    Red Rubber Ball

    I should have known you'd bid me farewell
    There's a lesson to be learned from this and I learned it very well
    Now I know you're not the only starfish in the sea
    If I never hear your name again, it's all the same to me

    And I think it's gonna be all right
    Yeah, the worst is over now
    The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball

    You never cared for secrets I'd confide
    For you I'm just an ornament, somethin' for your pride
    Always runnin', never carin', that's the life you live
    Stolen minutes of your time were all you had to give

    And I think it's gonna be all right
    Yeah, the worst is over now
    The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball

    The story's in the past with nothin' to recall
    I've got my life to live and I don't need you at all
    The roller coaster ride we took is nearly at an end
    I bought my ticket with my tears, that's all I'm gonna spend

    And I think it's gonna be all right
    Yeah, the worst is over now
    The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball

    Oh, oh, oh
    I think it's gonna be all right
    Yeah, the worst is over now
    The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball

    1 comment:

    Rick Hein said...

    According to "Where are they now?" Tom Dawes and Don Dannemann, the group’s lead singers, now head their own advertising agencies in New York, where they started as talented jingle writers. Don Dannemann has written jingles for Continental Airlines and Swanson Foods, while Tom Dawes has had shining success with, among other things, the Alka Selzter "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz" slogan jingle which became a pop culture classic!