Thursday, July 07, 2005

Does anyone remember Jack Rose?


Shop class -1961
Originally uploaded by Brite Lights photos.
JAMESTOWN, NY - In 7th or 8th grade, many of us had a mechanical drawing teacher named Jack Rose who wore glasses that were so thick, they gave new meaning to the expression Coke-bottle lenses.

But I remember a little refrain we used to chant, quietly, about him:

Jack Rose sat on a tack,
Jack Rose

I'm sorry Jack, but it still makes me laugh.

Shop classes in general weren't much fun for me, though when Douglas Brandow dropped an entire drawer of type and spent the rest of the semester sorting it, well, that was kind of amusing in a sad way.

But mechanical drawing was different, and when I have to build something I tend to sketch things out - just like Jack Rose taught me.

In one of my newspaper postings, I had to design pages, placing photos and stories and other elements and I quickly learned that the precision mechanical drawing required was needed in newspaper and print production, too.

Jack Rose had kind of a good sense of humor, and named his daughter Seena.

Seena Rose?

Oh boy...

Here's today's song, which has nothing to do with shop class or the photo that Steve Sewell sent around that is posted here. But it's one that should bring back a few stray memories.

Those Oldies But Goodies
by Nino & The Ebb Tides


Those oldies but goodies remind me of you
The songs of the past bring back memories of you
I always remember the first night we met
The songs they were playing
I never will forget

I always will treasure them so close to my heart
They always will haunt me although we're apart
Each time that I hear them a tear's bound to fall
Oh, I love those memories that I, I recall

Those oldies but goodies remind me of you
The songs of the past bring back memories of you
Forever they will haunt me but what can I do

Those oldies but goodies remind me of you

SPOKEN:
"Yes, dear, they are playin' our songs
And they will always remain our songs
And each time that you hear them
I hope that you, too,
Will cherish the wonderful memories that our love once knew
For these songs are but a symbol of the love that I have for you"

Those oldies but goodies remind me of you
(Oldies but goodies remind me of you)

No comments: