Tuesday, July 05, 2005

1968's Martin Luther King Memorial Race

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. - The photo with today's listing is of the two motor vehicles in Jim Carr's Phoenix garage.

He's fond of red, apparently.

And in a few emails back and forth, he reminded me about the 1968 Martin Luther King Memorial Race around Chautaqua Lake. I had my 14-year-old cousin as co-pilot (and to open the beer for me as I drove). He had a tough job holding his own beer without spilling while passing one to me.

I sure would have liked piloting one of Jim's current rigs on that race, but it's hard to slam beer riding a motorcycle.

Here's Jim Carr's account of the race:

========================
By JIM CARR

This is a short story about boys, cars, and how crazy we were, before responsibilities.

To the best of my recollection, this is what happened:

It was a Sunday afternoon, in the spring of 1968... Martin Luther King had been assassinated, and it was some relatively foolish, reckless, and crazy young adults looking for something to do. The next thing was we were racing, and it was called “The Martin Luther King Memorial Race”.

The drivers and their cars:

John Rupp.
Volkswagen Convertible.

Mike Fitzgerald.
A green Triumph Spitfire(top down, of course).

Bud Hooper.
A blue Chevrolet Camaro.

Jim Carr
A red Chevrolet Chevelle.

There were co-pilots and/or passengers. There names have been omitted, to protect the innocent.

The Start:
I’m not exactly sure where we started (likely the Big Tree or Triangle), but the race was in the counter clockwise direction around Chautauqua Lake, through Jamestown, Fluvanna, Bemus Point, Mayville, Chautauqua, Stow, Ashville, and finishing in Lakewood. I also have no recollection of what happened between the start and Stow, but have vivid memories of the finish. I can, with some confidence, assure you that the lead position changed numerous times.


The finish:
As the finish was approaching, from the back of the pack, Parnelli (aka, John Rupp) as he was often referred to, passed lines of cars, on the hills between Stow and Lakewood. People out for their Sunday drive, returning from church or Sunday afternoon lunch, or just out enjoying the great spring day, were rudely awakened as they came over the top of a hill to find a Volkswagen coming at them in their lane, with no intention of getting out of the way. Numerous cars left the pavement for safety and protection from this wild man, who was only interested in “The Joys of Victory”. There would be no “Agony of Defeat”.


The winner of the 40+ mile race, in memory of Martin Luther King, was a somewhat late model Volkswagen convertible, driven by the not so famous driver, John “Parnelli” Rupp.

Horsepower didn’t prevail. It was a strategy, a will to win, and someone who was just plain crazy.

===========================

So today's song, in honor of that race, a song that was popular and no doubt heard at least once - if not a lot more - on the trip:

Jumpin' Jack Flash
The Rolling Stones


Watch it
I was born in a crossfire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the drivin' rain
But it's all right now
In fact it's a gas
But it's all right
I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a gas, gas, gas

I was raised by a toothless bearded hag
I was schooled with a strap right across my back
But it's all right now
In fact it's a gas
But it's all right
Jumpin' Jack Flash it's a gas, gas, gas, gas

I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead
I fell down to my feet and I saw they bled
I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread
I was crowned with a spike right through my head
But it's all right
In fact it's a gas
But it's all right
I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas
Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas
Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas
Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas

No comments: