Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A wave that you could probably surf on

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. - The yearbook is full of great photos. If you haven't dragged yours out recently, well, grab the bottle of Grey Goose vodka by the neck and hang on tight when you turn the pages.

More than a few people have said, 'My picture is awful' (Right, CeeJay?), but in truth, the photos tell a thousand stories, even the bad ones.

Now today, here's Bob Swanson's entry. In the 20th reunion photo (posted some time ago) he's standing next to me in the back row with Conrad Wilson flanking him on his left. (I was standing next to the lovely Marcia Carlson.)

But Bob's photo from the yearbook is a classic 1966 pose - a fantastic wave up front that probably took a half a tube of Brylcreem to keep aloft.

I sported that look sometimes, but my hair would never hold like Bob's: Brylcreem, Wildroot Cream Oil, you name the product, my hair would collapse into a greasy mess down onto my forehead, which in adolescent years did not need more oil.

The only time my hair could stand up and do-a-Swanson was when I would wash it and walk outside in the winter, where it would freeze solid. Not much of an option.

So, for our reunion, what about everyone trying to redo their hair ala 1966? Do they even manufacture Brylcreem anymore? It could be a contest!

Okay, Okay. This is probably another idea that's likely to die like my earlier suggestion about karaoke at whatever soiree(s) we have.

But look at Bob again and tell me that isn't a great look...

TODAY'S SONG (great for karaoke by the way): It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty

People see us everywhere,
They think you really care,
But myself I can't decieve,
I know it's only make believe
My one and only prayer,
Is that some day you'll care,
My hopes my dreams come true...

No comments: