Wednesday, April 07, 2010

How about a week-long Class of '66 reunion in Mexico?


ARROYO SECO, Jalisco, Mexico - After I posted a blog a few days ago about how quickly 2011 is coming up, I was hit with several questions.

First: Exactly when would such a reunion be?

Second: Is it safe to travel in Mexico?

Well, in order, exactly when isn't my choice (it is yours, too), but I would suggest the second or third week of February, 2011 - and make the reunion the entire week.

Maybe have it span two weekends so that people could get a good bang for their travel bucks.

Playa Chica One
Playa Chica at sunset

I don't have any set agendas - except to say that my wife Sylvia and I would be happy to host at least one wing-ding party here in Arroyo Seco at our Pink Flamingo Bar and Recreation Center. Ok, it isn't really a bar yet, but plenty of recreation goes on. And would there only be one party here???? Doubtful... more likely we would use the Pink Flamingo as the launch pad for all week.

In terms of recreation, between La Manzanilla, Tenacatita and Arroyo Seco, we have miles of largely deserted beaches, dozens of great restaurants, hotels, motels, houses-to-rent and camping accommodations.

And for activities, well, there's the obvious water sports: swimming, fishing, snorkeling, boating, boogie boarding, and surfing. In addition, there is hiking, shopping (lots of shopping), golf, beach volleyball, bocce ball and, and, and... 

And in February, it is warm, amigos. Warm. Like 80-85 degrees during-the-day warm. At night? Maybe in the mid 60s.

Sasha starts to run into the water
Favorite swimming hole

And is it safe to travel to - and in - Mexico?

Well, I obviously think so.

The Admiral and I live here six months a year in the Costalegre and feel safer than when we live in Sacramento, California. A lot safer.

That said, I would not spend any time in Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana or any other Mexican border town. But then I am really nervous when I drive through Oakland, California to visit my one son who lives there, too. Really nervous.

Ditto for going through the Bronx when I am passing through New York City visiting relatives.

Whale ho!
When boating, sometimes you have company

So, how about it? A reunion week

I already have one person from the states who says she is in for sure and planning her itinerary.

Y tu?

No comments: