Saturday, July 08, 2006

Dave Carlson is off hiking with his son


Dave at the Rim
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - Dave Carlson is not too far from where Jim and Pam Carr live, hiking with his son and won't be back for our SWCS Class of '66 reunion in Jamestown, either.

This photo was taken at the rim of the Grand Canyon and just seeing the way he is leaning towards the edge makes me a little queasy.

I hiked around there years ago in the winter, climbing around the slippery edges. Scared the crap out of me.

Here's Dave's note, which some of you might have received already via email...

Classmates:

Here's a photo my son took of me at the Grand Canyon last week. He and I drove to Utah and rafted/kayaked down the Colorado River through Catarract Canyon, from Moab to Hite Marina. I paddled a kayak through more rapids than I ever expected and we both had a blast! We're heading to Carlsbad Caverns, next, and will be a quite a few miles from Lakewood, next week. So I'll not be seeing y'all at the See-Zuhr, but I'll be thinking of you back in Chautauqua County, reminiscing.

I may be in Lakewood later in the month. I'll try to look you up if and when I get there. Fair warning! And if you're ever in the Raleigh, NC vicinity, look me up and I'll buy you a drink.

BTW, if you're ever driving on I-40 through Oklahoma City and you're not a vegetarian, stop at the Cattlemen's Restaurant. It's in front of the national stockyards and serves the most tender steak I've ever eaten!

See you later!

Dave Carlson
Holly Springs, NC 27540

No comments: