Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Welcome to New York and here's your towel

VALOIS, N.Y. - This is the kind of summer I remember growing up in Lakewood.

It's 77 degrees outside, but it feels like 90 and the humidity is so high that the toaster over even steams when you cook an English muffin. If you want to keep your brow dry, you have to swab it with a towel every few minutes, or just let the sweat drip into your eyes.

Love it.

I would wake up on days like this in 1996 and dread going to work at Lakewood Beach because it would be roasting at first, which meant a gazillion people from Jamestown would arrive by bus. And almost always a thunderstorm would sweep through later, which meant that we closed the beach. Good news for lifeguards - we would barrel out to the Triangle for food. (Only one beer, of course).

But those poor folks from Jamestown would end up huddled under the trees waiting out the maelstrom. They always wanted to cluster inside the beach house, but that was verboten, unless they were cute teenage girls, in which case Dan Harp and I would sometimes make exceptions. (Ha! Sometimes!)

It always seemed to be this hot in late August when pre-season football practice started, too. One day 'Happy' Huff passed on the practice field and a bunch of the players had to carry him up the hill to the locker room. Happy weighed 200-pounds plus and it was, well, a load. I missed seeing it, but the legend has it that more water was available to players at practice after that.

The radar weather map with the blog is from just a few minutes ago and shows thunderbumpers in other parts of the state, but no joy here. I shouldn't complain as I'm trying to get the front yard in shape for a memorial service for my late mother-in-law who died in February.

In true upstate New York fashion, we will have a brief service and guitar music, followed by a potluck dinner - with a keg of beer.

Check the weather Sunday for Valois New York. I'll bet it's going to rain like hell.

Here's today's tune, by the tempting Temptations:

I Wish It Would Rain
The Temptations

Sunshine, blue skies, please go away
My girl has found another and gone away
With her with my future, my life is filled with gloom
So day after day, I stay locked up in my room
I know to you it might sound strange
But I wish it would rain
(Oh how I wish that it would rain)

'Cause so badly I wanna go outside (such a lovely day)
But everyone knows that a man ain't supposed to cry
I gotta cry 'cause cryin' is such a pain, oh yeah
People, this hurt I feel inside words can never explain
I just wish it would rain
(Oh how I wish that it would rain)
Rain, rain, rain
(Oh how I wish that it would rain)

(instrumental)

Day in, day out, my tear-stained face is pressed against
the window pane
I search the skies desperately for rain
'Cause raindrops will hide my teardrops
And no one will ever know
That I'm cryin', cryin' when I go outside
To the world outside, my tears I refuse to explain
Oh, I wish it would rain
(Oh how I wish that it would rain)

Let it rain, let it rain
I need rain to disguise the tears in my eyes...

No comments: