Sunday, January 22, 2006

Searching for Joe Rushin, I found Miss Brownrigg

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla - Shelley Kales set me on the track of finding Joe Rushin yesterday and while I didn't find Joe, exactly, I did find his wife (and maybe him).

Joe married Miss Brownrigg, one of our SWCS librarians, after his first wife died, all of which happened I think while we were still in high school.

But Miss Brownrigg (now Mrs. Rushin) left Jamestown when Joe retired in 1982 and moved to Florida where she started cranking out novels, all of which you can find at Amazon.com under Beverly Rushin.

One book just came out in paperback and I'll let you know how it is.

Here's her mailing address in Florida, at least according to the Herkimer High School from which she graduated in 1953.

The other data - and message from Beverly Brownrigg Rushin - all comes from the HHS website:

Address: 1342 S.E. Sandia Drive, Port St. Lucie, FL 34583
Phone: (561) 879-0872
E-mail: rushinb@aol.com
Occupation: Former librarian
Family: Married to Joe Rushin

"After graduation from HHS and from SUNY at Oswego in 1957, I recieved my MS from Syracuse Univ. in 1968. We lived in Jamestown, NY for many years until Joe retired in 1982. At that time we moved to Port St. Lucie where I became interested in community activities and also joined a writers group. I now have five published books. Three are at the local public library in Herkimer and I hope some of you will enjoy reading them. The titles of all five are, By the Sea, A Sudden Change of Plans, Broadsided by Love, My Rose and Shades of Love."

By the way, the list of teacher's addresses and contact information that I posted yesterday was compiled in good part from Tom Priester who has been helping get the reunion together. I think Tom is still selling bricks, too, as a fundraiser for the school.

I didn't get any of the letters off to teachers that I intended to yesterday - the over-the-counter painkillers keeping my knee injury under control stopped doing their job and I had to shift to a grape-based pain reliever.

Maybe later today I'll pen a couple of those letters, but no more grape-based remedies. The headache was worse the the knee-ache.

No comments: